Tuesday, December 8, 2009




ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS










Hi, all. Ed went back to work today--in no way is he feeling up to par but he is indeed better than he was last week--for whatever that's worth, poor guy (and yes--poor me! Drove me nuts--ha!).

He simply cannot afford to keep missing work until this thing flees itself entirely from his system (he's not contagious), which could take weeks.

He is just very tired and rundown and, I imagine, he will come home tonight, eat dinner and go right to bed.

Thank you all so much for your support and well wishes.















I'd like to welcome my new followers--thank you for finding me and for commenting. I'm happy to have you here!














So, this morning I am trying to get caught back up in catching up with everyone.

So far I made one--inspired--stop before coming back to my blog to type this post, which I wasn't planning on doing today. I was just planning to spend some time catching up with everyone else.

However...one has to strike when inspiration hits.

I stopped by to visit Herrad at 'Access Denied-Living With Multiple Sclerosis'.

http://accessdenied-livingwithms.blogspot.com/

I love her blog--it is a good reminder, among many other things, that when I type my 'signature' "Peace, love and happiness" at the end of my posts (and when commenting on others' blogs) that I should start including the word "health".

It is something many of us indeed take for granted, myself included. It is so easy to get caught up in day to day financial, familial and emotional turmoil, that many of us can merely imagine what it's like to have a magnitude of issues facing us while living with a chronic illness simultaneously.

Late last month, I posted a blog about my friend, Scott, who has MS and whom I walk for.
















Please see my blog (from late November) titled 'I WALK FOR SCOTT' to learn more about Scott and how I became enlightened, motivated and pro-active in the MS cause and, if you're so inclined, what you can do. There is no amount of gift--or time--that is too small.


So, I thought I would share some facts about MS.













WHAT IS MS?

*Multiple Sclerosis literally translates to mean 'Many Scars'

*MS affects our CNS (Central Nervous System).

*The nerves in our CNS are surrounded by a protective fiber (insulation, if you will) called 'Myelin'.

*The Sclerosis refers to the scar tissue that the Myelin endures from this disease, which 'punches holes' (lesions) in it

*There are many forms of MS. Some people live with it for years with only mild progression. For others like Scott (who has 'Secondary Progressive' MS) and Herrad (who has 'Primary Progressive' MS), the MS progresses very rapidly and methodically.

People I Know:

Last year at the MS camp I work at for one week every year, I met a lovely lady named Katie. Katie was in a wheelchair when I met her. She was accompanied by her husband, Bob--an equally lovely person. Katie would positively light up a room like a Christmas tree when she came in--always smiling, happy.

This year (in May) at the camp, Katie WALKED in.

She has the 'Relapse and Remit' form of MS: comes and goes at it's own will. Can you imagine how frustrating that must be????

Scott was 33 when he was diagnosed. Within five years, he would be in a wheelchair and having to retire from his 'Hospital Administration' job on disability.

MS very succinctly attacked his body (and his life--career, marriage, home...). He started with a cane, crutches, walker, wheelchair and now lives life in a power chair in Assisted Living (he's been there two years now). He is 53.


SYMPTOMS OF MS:

*Loss of gait/balance

*Double vision/increasingly depleting eye sight

*Numbness and/or tingling of limbs

*Loss of memory/concentration

*Loss of dexterity

Not everyone experiences all these symptoms--every case is different.

MS FACTS:

*Cases of MS is 50% higher in women than it is in men

*People afflicted with MS have a high intolerance for heat

*80% of people with MS suffer from severe fatigue

*Approximately 10% of Multiple Sclerosis patients experience 'Trigeminal Neuralgia'--another neurological condition that affects our Trigeminal nerves (located on the side of our face) causing seizures, spasms. 'Trigeminal Neuralgia' is the most painful affliction known to doctors. Symptoms of TN can be controlled by anti-seizure medications.

*Each research projects takes approximately three to five years to complete and costs typically hundreds of thousands of dollars--sometimes even in the millions. Upon beginning my fundraising this year, I researched and found that there are 26 research projects going on at this moment in the southern California area alone.

*MS and Parkinsons are neurological. Cure one and we may very well cure the other.

*As of now, there is NO cure for MS.

*There is NO cause for MS.

**On a side note: There have been many theories about what causes MS but none of have been tethered down, such as hot climates and heredity. However, in 2008 they were able to nail down genetics.

Now, that doesn't mean that everyone who has MS will pass it along. There is a difference between genetics and heredity, although there are many cases of siblings having MS. It simply means that some people carry a gene that makes them pre-disposed.

This was big news in MS research.

This is why funding is so crucial. This is why I do what I do.

And this is why I will keep doing this until we can wipe away MS.

Thank you all for hearing me out. Again, if you'd like to help, please visit my post from November titled 'I WALK FOR SCOTT'.

'Each step you take brings us one step closer to a world free of MS'

Keep s-myelin!

Peace, love, happiness and health,
~Jo














EDIT: Was only able to make it to three blog friends sites today--will have to try and catch up again tomorrow. I'd like to extend another big thank you to Andrea from 'Arise 2 Write' for awarding me today the 'Make Lemonade' blog award (posted towards the bottom of my side bar). As always, I so appreciate when others like what they read here!
As for now, I have laundry, dishes (you know it's bad when you're using a pizza slicer to cut lemons--ha!), a trip to the market, a phone call to my Mom, dinner and then a hot bath awaiting me.

6 comments:

  1. Once again Jo, you have made me think(and that hurts my little brain) seriously, we all need to step back and thank God for the days we have.....wonderful reminder my friend...and lets not forget to say a prayer for all those not as fortunate as we

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister's best friend from high school has MS. She is about 41 years old and can not feed, dress, or do anything else for herself. She now has to live in a Nursing home, b/c her mom who cared for her died at age 54 from a heart attack. It is so very sad. She is so drawn and contorted. I live about 7 hours from her, but I try to send books on tape and cd regularly. She always loved to read and this has enabled her an outlet. She started a book club in her nursing home. It has given her a purpose. It is not much, but it is my way of trying to put a little sunshine in her day. I buy some of the books and I ask anyone that has them to give them to me....then I mail a box full at a time.
    GOD BLESS you for working so hard to help those with MS.
    I hope your hubby gets back to normal, soon.
    You have another award on arise 2 write.
    Blessings,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way- I love your subtitle, or description... "confessions of a bankrupt life" LOL! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 2006, Laura Lawes was diagnosed with Multiple Scelrosis and given a life expectancy of one year. Three years later, she was not only living strong, but she gave birth to her first son. It was called "a miracle birth". These miracles are possible today, because of the work organizations, such as yourself, have done. Here, at Disease.com (a website dedicated to disease preventions and treatments) we are inspired by stories such as this, and would like to join you in fighting this cause. If you could, please list us as a resource or host our social book mark button, it would be much appreciated. Lets create more of these miracles; together.If you want more information on that please email me back with the subject line as your URL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo,
    Enjoyed your post.
    Keep warm and well.
    Love,
    Herrad
    ps hope you do no mind but I have taken your all I want for christmas is a cure?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo, that is a very well-written post and a very good reminder for all of us.
    And thank you for that!
    love and hugs

    P.S.thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog.XXX

    ReplyDelete