Monday, September 14, 2009


US WOMEN


Well, yesterday I posted 'Sunday Snippets'--just something a little fun and different from my usual "Woe is me..." bru-ha-ha.

Well, ladies and gents--I'm back. And so is the griping.

I'm going to apologize up front--I'm all over the map with my emotions right now--my outrage is on different counts, for different reasons. All connecting, though, in my mind.....

To say that I'm peeved, irked, annoyed...doesn't do justice my choice of topic today.

This isn't directly about me for once--I'm setting aside my narcissism to talk about society as a whole--more notably, WOMEN.

In addition to the above adjectives, I'm also proud--and ashamed. Kindly read on to understand my confliction.

Kanye West at the V.M.A.'s:

If you didn't see it--you've no doubt heard or read about it.

To briefly re-cap: Taylor Swift won an award last night. She goes on stage to accept it when Kanye West bursts on stage uninvited and unannounced, GRABS the microphone from Ms. Swifts hand and starts his soliloquy on why he thinks Beyonce should have won the award that Ms. Swift was graced with.

Simply put, he bullied Ms. Swift and his way on stage.

Beyonce, sitting in the audience, was equally as stunned and mortified as Ms. Swift--who then left the stage in silent shock.

Beyonce, later winning an award, then calls Ms. Swift up to the stage to 'finish her acceptance speech'.

Both women--quite different from one another--exemplified 'grace under fire'. Chalk one up for true sisterhood.

Then I read the news this morning that the missing Yale student, who was engaged to be married, was found dead--shoved in a wall at her work in New Haven, Connecticut.

They found her yesterday--the day she was to be wed.

Both pieces of today's top news stories left me with conflicting feelings--in order: outrage, redemption, pride, sadness....

Perhaps in the normal mind, these stories don't parallel in any way, shape or form--but to me they both screamed out victimization.

What could possibly ease my heart?

Kanye's record sales dropping while Beyonce and Ms. Swifts rise.

The New Haven woman's killer being caught, tried and convicted. Even then, her poor family and Fiance....I can't even imagine.

Reading about her tragic and untimely death led me to look at the related article of other missing women cases--so many.

Couple all this with the book I just finished reading last night--'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold--and what you now have before you is a peri-menopausal woman on a rant.

Good read, well written, couldn't put it down kind of thing.

SPOILER ALERT--skip to end if you don't care to know the details of the book:

Brief description:

Fourteen year old girl is raped and murdered by her middle-aged neighbor. She narrates the story from heaven--watching her family fall apart (her mother leaves her husband, daughter and son for five years) and her killer goes uncaught...

Fast forward 8 years or so later and she is granted a little while back on earth--in the body of an old classmate.

She knows her time is limited--so what does she do?

Instead of leading her family or police to clues--she instead decides to have sex with a boy from her school whom she once kissed.

Her killer goes on to roam the country--still uncaught--only to die by an icicle conking him on the noggin resulting in him falling into a ravine.

Are you kidding me????

Again, I can't tell you enough how much I enjoyed the read thinking it will lead to some form of redemption.

Perhaps I just missed it.

Disappointing ending.

END OF BOOK SPOILER


Was going to speak about a long ago friend but have decided against it--too much detail would be provided.

We keep 'tabs' on each other through various social networks...

So, let me just say that this falls along the same way I feel about members of my family--they can reach out to strangers but fail to see the person they know in pain.

I'm feeling disheartened and discouraged.

I don't know...

So, next time I see a woman in need--I plan on doing a random act of kindness. Buy her a coke, pay a few dollars for her gas...something.

I guess that's all I have for now. Not very eloquent or well thought out, I know.

Just some things that were on my mind...

Peace to you this week.

8 comments:

  1. rant and bitch on sister....sometimes in this world it is all we can do.

    peace:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Kayne West never gets nominated for another award nor wins one (and for that matter, he shouldn't even be allowed to attend any more award shows); Beyonce truly had class to do what she did

    so sad too about Annie Le; I'm hoping the media gives her family space and leaves them alone as they grieve

    in this day and age, it is hard not to not feel disheartened and discouraged; such tough times for so many

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I too was totally appalled by the whole Kanye West thing! I mean, really, who does he think that he is? That was so foul on so many levels!

    That was really sad about the Yale student too. I feel bad for her fiance as well.

    I am so glad you let us know about the book. I cannot believe that is how it all played out. Ugh! That would have made me so mad!

    I know how you feel about people being there for you. It is hard to get over. That is one of the main reasons that I am working towards my writing/film career. I want to help others and make them not feel so alone. Too, me it will help me to fulfil my purpose on this earth as well as reconcile some of the things that I have been through. It is good that you want to reach out an help others. We need so much more of that in the world! Stay encouraged! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the book a number of years ago. It was very moving. As for the two incidences you talked about....I have the same emotions as you do.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing with the VMAs I just could not believe. Really, what was he thinking? Cute blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read that book several years ago, and I remember feeling unsettled. I think some authors feel they cannot have a nice package with a bow when they write or they are following some cliche. But I like the bow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kanye West is an ass. He deserves to be working somewhere making minimum wage recounting his "glory days" stories to anyone who will listen. Beyonce showed tons of class and grace and Taylor may have lost that one moment, but I am sure there will be plenty more wonderful moments in that young girl's life.

    It's hard for me to read the stories about the Yale student. It's so hard to imagine that someone could do such a thing. What a crazy world we live in where in a building that is considered "secure" that you aren't really secure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you're saying. The world is falling apart. And did you know they're making The Lovely Bones into a movie *gasp*! Go ahead and rant. That's what blogging is for--getting your feelings out. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete